Welcome to my ramblings!

Welcome to my Blog. Here you can find the ramblings of a old high school principal. I've created a number of blogs over the years for a variety of reasons. A large number of them I use with my staff which are password protected from the outside world. This blog is for my fellow educators and anyone else who wants to read the ramblings. I guess my target would be building administrators, future administrators, teachers and educators in general.

Thursday, February 6, 2014

Preparing for Questionable Weather Day


Preparing for Questionable Weather Day

2/6/2014

As building administrators we need to be prepared to handled the challenges that occur when students come to school during or just after bad weather. There are couple of thoughts I'd like to share.

  • I come in early to setup the office. I work with my attendance clerk to make sure we have a plan with our staff on taking attendance at the start of the day. (We have a few staff that sometimes forgets to take attendance and this is not an option on a questionable weather day). Once we have attendance we match it up against the bus list of any bus that had not arrived and the phone calls we've received.  I make sure there are other administrative assistances available to answer phones and more importantly call parents when we can't account for a student. 
  • Send out a reminder to my staff to check their neighbors and let the office know if a teacher fails to report to their classroom. This way we can call and find out where they might be and if we need a sub.
  • When I was getting my Master's in administration the instructor talked about how administrators needed to delegate responsibilities. One of those he referenced was accidents before and after school. He stated that if that occurred to send an assistant or let law enforcement handle the situation. Then over the years I heard several administrators say the same thing. Well, I disagree! When a student is involved in an accident no matter how minor I believe it is extremely important that the student and parents see the head administrator on the scene. We need to be there to check to make sure the student is safe and ok. Be ready to handle parents who maybe upset or beside themselves. Our presence helps assure them that the school cares.
    • On day's like today (13 inches of snow over the past two days) I come prepared to hit the road. My 4X4 truck is full of gas. I'm dressed for the weather. Survival kit in the back seat. Local law enforcement knows to call me if we have a student involved in an accident and out the door I go. 
So my fellow admin what else do you do to handle those crazy days?

(Previous Blog: Hess and Rigor)

No comments:

Post a Comment